Oil and Gas
As the global demand for energy continues to increase, oil and gas developers are literally pushing the boundaries of exploration. That has taken the industry to more and more remote areas, issuing new challenges to site access, development, operations and productivity. Poor soils, weak subgrades and harsh weather or environmental conditions can make the construction and maintenance of access roads, laydown yards, drilling pads and other working platforms more difficult, dangerous and costly. Exposed to the continual heavy loads of trucks, cranes, drilling rigs and other equipment, without mechanical soil stabilization these sites are subject to rapid deterioration beyond effective use.
Expert in soil stabilization applications, Tensar International offers state-of-the-art design solutions that can be used effectively in the oil and gas industry for roadways and working platforms. In particular, durable Tensar® TriAx® Geogrids
installed with structural fill have proved to:
- Reduce aggregate requirements up to 60%, along with additional savings in labor and equipment construction costs
- Reduce rutting from heavy loads to create longer lasting access and haul roads, working platforms and laydown areas with fewer maintenance cycles
- Improve surface quality of roads and platforms to increase safety, operational speed and productivity
- Create stable and more uniform roadways and working surfaces, minimizing the potential for dangerous potholes or washouts
- Preserve post-drilling production site access for reaching workover rigs in key locations
- Eliminate the challenges of chemical stabilization of weak soils, including safety of personnel and the environment
- Allow cold climate construction and rig movement, with no need to sacrifice performance and productivity during freeze-thaw cycles
TriAx® geogrid and the use thereof are protected by U.S. Patent No. 7,001,112.