Economical solutions for grade changes
Tensar specializes in mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) and reinforced soil slope (RSS) solutions that combine uniaxial (UX) geogrid with connectors and wall blocks or wire baskets to create proven, engineered structures. As complete integrated systems, Tensar retaining walls and slopes are easier to stage and install, and they provide long-term durability, performance, and structural integrity. These systems can also reduce construction costs by allowing the use of varied backfill materials. Additionally, these systems can meet your project’s aesthetic or environmental needs with a wide variety of sizes, colors, and facing options, including stone, vegetated, and architectural veneers.
How does Tensar compare to the competition?
Tensar's wall and slope systems offer flexibility, resilience, and cost savings that alternative mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) systems and reinforced concrete retaining walls can't provide.
Alternative MSE Systems
Other mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) systems combine components from multiple suppliers with third-party software.
- Variable levels of experience and longevity
- Often simplified designs using third party software
- Typically bought-in components, often uncertified from multiple suppliers
- Reinforcement may be susceptible to corrosion
Tensar Wall & Slope Systems
Tensar is a single-source provider of wall and slope systems. Everything, from design software to proven system components, comes from the same company, so you don't have to worry about the system working together.
- Proven products with over 40 years of construction experience worldwide
- Unique and powerful design software with seismic, hydraulic, and live load complexities
- One single source for design and supply of complete system
- Full strength connections between facing systems and geogrid reinforcement, with no corrosion susceptibility
Reinforced Concrete Retaining Walls
Reinforced concrete retaining walls are more costly and less flexible, with limited facing options.
- Rigid structures unable to accommodate settlements and requiring substantial and costly structural foundations
- Significantly higher cost + higher energy use and carbon emissions
- Limited to vertical or near-vertical walls, with limited aesthetic facing options
- Mobilization costs can be high; staged construction dictated by overall construction plan and not generally flexible
Tensar Wall and Slope Systems
Tensar wall and slope systems are highly flexible and can significantly lower project costs, while offering a wide variety of aesthetic facing options.
- Flexible structures can accommodate minor foundation settlements; typically requires no structural foundation
- Significantly lower construction cost + lower energy and carbon cost; often able to utilize on-site soils
- Many attractive options for facings
- Mobilization costs are low; beneficial for smaller projects and well-suited to staged construction
The Backbone of Tensar MSE Systems: Uniaxial Geogrid
Our grade separation solutions owe their long-term performance and durability to high-strength Tensar uniaxial (UX) geogrids which provide the function of reinforcement. Tensar UX geogrids are manufactured from select grades of HDPE resins that are highly oriented and resist deformation when subjected to high tensile loads for long periods of time.
No Metal, No Corrosion
With soil reinforcement that is 100% polymeric, our solutions eliminate corrosion concerns. Tensar UX geogrids are manufactured from polymers resistant to physical deterioration and loss of strength caused by aggressive chemical environments. UX geogrids are also ideal for aggressive "hot soil" applications and can be used with a variety of backfill materials, including on-site soils and recycled concrete.
The Engineered Advantage™
Tensar is the industry leader in soil reinforcement solutions. We've developed products and technologies at the forefront of the geotechnical industry for more than three decades. Our products are backed by the most thorough quality assurance practices in the industry. And we can provide full engineering and construction support, including detailing, design, site assistance, and review of stamped drawings for each of our grade separation solutions.
Briarcliff ApartmentsMarket: Residential
Application: Retaining Wall
Benefit: Use of recycled concrete for backfill, providing overall cost savings.
County Road 124 OverpassMarket: Public Roads
Application: Retaining Wall
Benefit: Ability to use locally available backfill material
SR-76 Temporary BridgeMarket: Public Roads
Application: Temporary Retaining Wall
Benefit: Construction of true abutments able to handle large surcharge loads.