Bridge abutments are among the most demanding grade separation applications. Differential settlement, traffic loads and seismic events continually test their structural integrity and long-term performance; construction components are further subjected to chemical corrosion, hydrolysis and more.
Tensar International’s mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) retaining wall systems have proven to be effective solutions for the construction of bridge abutments – so effective that the need for pilings is routinely eliminated. In addition, Tensar retaining walls:
- Present a lower cost alternative to conventional retaining walls, including cast-in-place
- Are approved by most state DOT’s
- Feature Tensar® Geogrids. Made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) material, geogrids allow the use of a variety of backfill materials, including recycled concrete, and (unlike metallic earth reinforcement) are inert to chemical and electrical corrosion
- Incorporate a positive mechanical connection between wall face and reinforcement
- Provide a variety of wall face dimensions, colors, textures and finishes to satisfy project requirements and design specifications
- Offer full service design and supply systems, including engineered drawings and site assistance